

Atticus and his second grade class did a little readers theater to celebrate fall. They invited all of the parents and younger siblings to join them. I wrote it on the calendar, planned to attend, and then when the day came, I totally forgot. I fed the younger three lunch, put two down for naps and started doing Junie's reading lesson when I got a panicky call from Atticus at the school. "Are you coming to the readers theater?" he said. AHHHHH. two kids asleep. I'm already late. What next? I quickly called a neighbor to watch the sleeping kids, jumped in the van, and made it just in time to see Atticus sitting in front of an audience, crestfallen, eyes welling with tears. We had missed it, and he was heartbroken. I felt terrible, and he said, "WHY do you always miss my things??" While this is not exactly true, it sure felt that way to Attman. One of the worst emotions as a parent is feeling like you've let your child down. I was heartbroken too. Thankfully, the next week they performed again for a buddy class, and his teacher called me so that I could participate. Bless you Mrs. Fausett. He did a great job, I was able to redeem myself, and all was well in the end.
3 comments:
love this entry. That is something I will totally do when Elliot is in school. I know it already. I'm glad you got a do-over. Thank Heaven for those. Did a mention you are a rock'in mom?
Aww, bless Attman, and bless you. You really are a fantastic mom. :)
Dear Ones, I know exactly how both of you feel. It is sooo distressing to miss something soooo important to one of your children. Elicia, you have an excellent track record, and I am happy that another opportuinity was provided so that you could hear our accomplished Atticus read his most important lines. Atticus is also a very forgiving little guy, and I know that he will always appreciate all the effort you went to to make it right. We used to say in our family that we should give each other at least three days to celebrate anything important. The great lesson is that love does conquer all, and it is sooo nice to know how much you both wanted each other to be there. I am soooo proud of you both. Gram Tam would love to have been there too. Kisses to all of you. I miss you terribly!!!! Much love, Gram Tam xoxoxoxoxxo
Post a Comment