I think that each child I've had has slowly sucked away a portion of my short term memory. With four kids in six years I think it is safe to say that memory lapses are at least a daily occurrence. The other day we drove to church and there was a faint smell of dead carcass in the van. I wish I could say that this was an unusual experience, but our van is no stranger to curious smells. You'd think I would notice when my child sneaks a string cheese into the van and then decides that the best place to store it is under their carseat. Anyway, on this particular occasion, I remembered that Jordan had made a trip to costco the day before. For Jor, this means that he walked away from the store with a box of baby wipes and an obscene amount of raw meat. After smelling the faint nastiness in the van I was confident that it was Jordan's fault. I was pretty sure that he had absentmindedly left a chicken brest under the stroller or something, and I was quick to let him know that the smell was his fault. (In hind sight I should have realized that Jordan is not a person that misplaces his meat) Anyway, after a long three hours of baking in the hot sun in the church parking lot we opened the van door to the most odiferous grotesqueness. We could hardly even climb inside, in fact four out of the six of us chose to walk home instead of enduring the stench. When we got home Jor was determined to find the source. After a few minutes of gagging and shifting, he picked up a plastic bag of dripping blood and said "UUuuuuug. DEER MEAT? Did you put DEER MEAT in the van?" Um, yes... Yes I did. "You FORGOT that you put DEER MEAT in the van?" Um, yes... Yes I did. FOUR days earlier I stopped in on a friend that was moving and she was cleanining out her freezer. She didn't want to throw the meat away, so she gave it to me. I popped it in the van and went on with my day... chores, wiping bums, carpool duty, dinner, bedtime, etc. And, promply forgot about the deer meat. You'd think I'd remember it once it started to stink and decay, but no, I naturally assumed that it was Jordan's fault instead. Soooo Gross. So friends, if you'd ever like me to keep a secret, never fear, there's a really good chance that I won't remember it anyway.
Friday, September 10, 2010
My nasty case of Mom-nesia
I think that each child I've had has slowly sucked away a portion of my short term memory. With four kids in six years I think it is safe to say that memory lapses are at least a daily occurrence. The other day we drove to church and there was a faint smell of dead carcass in the van. I wish I could say that this was an unusual experience, but our van is no stranger to curious smells. You'd think I would notice when my child sneaks a string cheese into the van and then decides that the best place to store it is under their carseat. Anyway, on this particular occasion, I remembered that Jordan had made a trip to costco the day before. For Jor, this means that he walked away from the store with a box of baby wipes and an obscene amount of raw meat. After smelling the faint nastiness in the van I was confident that it was Jordan's fault. I was pretty sure that he had absentmindedly left a chicken brest under the stroller or something, and I was quick to let him know that the smell was his fault. (In hind sight I should have realized that Jordan is not a person that misplaces his meat) Anyway, after a long three hours of baking in the hot sun in the church parking lot we opened the van door to the most odiferous grotesqueness. We could hardly even climb inside, in fact four out of the six of us chose to walk home instead of enduring the stench. When we got home Jor was determined to find the source. After a few minutes of gagging and shifting, he picked up a plastic bag of dripping blood and said "UUuuuuug. DEER MEAT? Did you put DEER MEAT in the van?" Um, yes... Yes I did. "You FORGOT that you put DEER MEAT in the van?" Um, yes... Yes I did. FOUR days earlier I stopped in on a friend that was moving and she was cleanining out her freezer. She didn't want to throw the meat away, so she gave it to me. I popped it in the van and went on with my day... chores, wiping bums, carpool duty, dinner, bedtime, etc. And, promply forgot about the deer meat. You'd think I'd remember it once it started to stink and decay, but no, I naturally assumed that it was Jordan's fault instead. Soooo Gross. So friends, if you'd ever like me to keep a secret, never fear, there's a really good chance that I won't remember it anyway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I love this story! I never would have thought it was deer meat.
What a great story!!! I cannot imagine how Jordan could possibly clean out the van with that horrible smell....More power to you Jordacus!!! I always thought cleaning out our van when my children were little, was like an archeological dig. However, I never expected to find some missing deer meat!!!! Oh, the stories you can tell!!! Love you all...Gram Tam xoxoxoxoxo
That is too funny. And too familiar...Maybe I can't say that has happened to me with deer meat but there's always something funky smelling in the car.
OH and that totally reminds me of that terrible smell in our bedroom back in Kwe Kwe. Do you remember -It got worse by the day until one night we tracked it down and found that dead rotting FROG underneath my suitcase... oh the frogs, the frogs, the frogs...
Oh yes Wendy, I do remember the frogs, and the dead frog smell. totally gross. I also remember a frog jumping out of your backpack one day when you opened it. I know it was scary for you, but absolutely hilarious to watch!
Post a Comment