Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Magic of Stained Glass



Seven years ago when we moved into our SSsssssweeet 1980's split level home, we took a look at the transom window above the entry and said... "That would be a great place for a piece of stained glass!!" After finding we had to replace every window in our house this year, we decided to go for the gold and add the stained glass at the same time. I drew up a design and took it around the corner to the studio in our neighborhood. I told them my budget, showed them my design, and then waited. They got back to me quickly, explaining that you pay by the piece, and mine was a complicated design. Since we live in the neighborhood, they wanted to give us a 50% discount, but that was still 50% more than I wanted to pay. Then they asked me if I wanted to re-visit the drawing board. I sighed loudly, and proceeded to cut away more than half of my design, and then showed the new version to Jordan. He took one look and said... "Is that really what you want?" I explained that this was the budget version and I would be okay with it. He smiled at me, picked up the phone, and called the stained glass place. He explained that he would be more than happy to pay for the original design, and to get started right away. I couldn't believe it. Our couches have massive holes in them (thanks Talmage) our TV is older than dirt, we need new carpet, and the list goes on, but hey we have the NICEST piece of stained glass I have ever seen! It has all sorts of fun symbolism based on Native American medicine wheels and East Indian Rangoli, and it even has our little family crest etched into it in five places. Jor and I designed the family symbol, which was on our wedding annoucement as well. So Jordan, thanks for giving up your potential flat screen, and six months of grocery money to indulge your wife's aesthetic vision. YOU make me happy... jordanwynskyzer gray.

5 comments:

heather said...

I love it! I also love the that your husband just got it done for you. That is a man! :)

Cheree said...

ELICIA!!!!!!! That is so awesome. I LOVE IT!!! It's beautiful. I bet it makes you smile every time you look at it. Devlin says you guys are never ever moving. You have your family crest etched on your house! How can you move? I better get myself over this week so I can see it in person. What I want to know is how come this is the first time I've even heard about this? Hmmm???? Tell Jordan he's the man! Can't wait to see it!

Janadt.Huggins said...

LOUIE!!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! It's fantastic! Great color choices, great use of the family crest, great all around. It's stunning. I think the stained glass is way cooler then a new TV for sure!!

Emily and Austin Gray said...

Wow -- that stained glass is AMAZING! My dad has recently got into making stained glass windows and I was considering trying it. If I do, I'm definitely coming to YOU for the design!

Now you'll never be able to move...!

J said...

Wow, it is amazing.