Sunday, October 3, 2010

Juniper- Student of the Week



Juniper was chosen to be student of the week last week, so she got to choose a favorite book to share, a treat, and we could do some sort of optional project with the class if we chose to. After much brainstorming, we chose Stephanie's Ponytail by Robert Munsch. Being the art teacher mom that I am, I was stressed about choosing a project that would be age appropriate, kid friendly, and apply well to the theme of the book. The story is all about Stephanie, who chooses one day to have a ponytail coming right out the back. When she goes to school all the kids say, UGLY, ugly, VERY ugly... but the next day they all come to school with ponytails. Then Stephanie does a side pony, one right on top, one in front, and so forth. The underlying message is that she wants to be an individual, and it is important that kids make decisions independent of other people. Sooooo, we decided to draw a picture of Stephanie bald, and then draw all of the hairdo's to go along with it. I also added a bunch of silly facial features and weird hairdoos that didn't go with the story. When we read it for Junie's class I had June come to the board and add the hairdoos each time they changed. Then, at the end of the story, we had a little game. I added strange noses, weird ears, fangs etc. and had the class give me a thumbs up or a thumbs down to tell me if the additions were actually a part of the story. They thought it was hillarious. Then we passed out copies of Stephanie and her wacky features, and they got to cut out pieces and glue them in place as they wanted. Junie chose to give out Tootsie pops for the treats, because when you take off the wrapper, they look like BALD HEADS! I got excited about this and wanted to glue little hairdoos on all of the lollipops, but June just looked at me like I was an idiot and said, NO! Ugly Ugly VERY ugly. (okay, I may have added the ugly part.) It was fun to be a part of her class.

4 comments:

Cheree said...

Love the activity!!!

J said...

What a cool idea. Did they give you the mom of the year award? That is really fun that you put so much into her special day. (did you happen to mention that once you were bald?)

Janadt.Huggins said...

Louie, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. The activity is awesome. I'm loving all this blogging you're doing, it's awesome. You rock.

Mimsey said...

Dear Adorable Juniper, Congratulations on being a student of the week. I can certainly see why you were chosen. You are such an obedient little princess. Gram Tam loves this story. In fact, your Mother gave it to Gram Tam, and I have used it many times in the lessons I have given. The activity sounded sooooo fun, and I bet your class just loved doing the art project and also putting the different hair doos and the bald headed girl. I love putting pony tails in your beautiful hair and spending time chatting with my Juniper. I want to have a real visit with you very soon. I think your Mommy is a genius when it comes to art projects. Please kiss her for me and then have her kiss you back. I love you my Juniper, and can't wait to hug and kiss you and have you read Gram Tam a story. Much love, Gram Tam xoxoxoxox Please tell Mommy that i just love reading her blogs and I hope she puts many more pictures on them so Gram Tam does not get so homesick for all of her grand babies. xoxoxoxoxoxo Gram Tam