Monday, January 24, 2011

Happy Birthday Gram Tam

For my mom's 60th birthday we decided to surprise her by flying to Oklahoma for a surprise visit. At 1:00 AM we knocked on her door and sang her Happy Birthday. She was flabbergasted, and it was delightful. The only down side was that Tara couldn't join us. The whole thing was Tara's idea in the first place, and we really missed her.
This is the memorial for the Oklahoma City bombing. The two gates represent the minute before and the minute after the bombing, and the reflective pool is a way that guests can meditate and think about the affects of the attack.
Each of the chairs represent one person that was killed. The big chairs represent adults, and the small chairs represent the children lost.
This, for me, was the neatest part. This is a tree that stood in the neighboring parking lot. Even though it is charred and still has black bark from the blast, the tree is still living, and still blooms and grows. They have dedicated it to the rescue workers.

3 comments:

Janadt.Huggins said...

Great post on the memorial Lou. We had such an awesome time! I admit I still relive it in my head every now and then. I luf ya.

Mimsey said...

Dear Kiddles, What a lucky mother I am. Just look at how handsome and beautiful, and wonderful, each one of you are!!! Your faces glow with intelligence and light. I cherish every minute I was able to spend with you. I just wish we could have "beamed" Tara up, like Scottie on the Enterprise, and then it would have been a complete heaven. I love the story of the one surviving tree during the explosion. We must all be like this tree and survive through the trials of life with determination and faith and strength. Just the hope of being together forever makes me want to be the best I can possibly be. You all make me so humbled and blessed. Much love, Mom xxoxoxoxo

Amander said...

I love that you guys got to do this. That group picture is priceless! So sorry T couldn't go, too. And, well, I wish I could beam you all to my house! But all adorable cardigans would have to stay here in my closet after you went back to your busy lives! Love you!!!